While Nat and Kym had started volunteering at the pre-conference, I had some free time to look around Vancouver downtown. Myself and fellow volunteer Ateen started our trip at around 11 a.m. from the convention centre and finished at the same place at 6 p.m. We walked all around Downtown Vancouver and Stanley park which is huge. Vancouver is an absolutely stunning city which is clean and full of sporty, smiley people. Enough of my talking, have a look for yourself! (:
Above is a map of my Thursday trip. The Yellow point indicates the start and finish of my journey, and the numbers correspond to the images and places I visited in order below.
1. Gasstown - The oldest area in Vancouver Downtown which is full of amazing Victoran buildings and loft appartments. This become our local night out area later in the week. (:
2. China Town! Very different from the one we all know in London. Vancouver's is full of amazing markets and restaurants. This place was shockingly different from the rest of Vancouver... It actually felt like I was visiting China! (:
3. The Science Museum and an absolutely amazing view of the Southern part of Vancouver Downtown! We thought of visiting the Museum but was revealed to be rather pricey so we decided to save some money for other attractions (:
4. The stunning Granville Island! To get there we had to take a water taxi for about a $45.50 return which isn't as bad as it seems seeing as the trip is absolutely worth it. The Island is full of markets and restaurants and reminded me of a mixture of Camden Town and Covent Garden in London. That's were I also had my delicious lunch: home baked Ham and Cheese Croissant with White Tea Lemonade! (:
5. This one place I visited is one of the poshest areas in Vancouver, full of eye catching modern architecture, elegant gardens, and beautfiul picnic areas.
6. English Bay! Probably my favourite part of Vancouver. Where else can you find the ocean, the beach, palm trees and a view of the mountains all in the same place?
7. The begining of the massive Stanley Park which reminded me of the one Yogi Bear inhabits (:
8. The San Fransico Bridge? That's the first thing that went through my mind the first minute I saw it! It's very similar just smaller and green!
9. And finally, back to where we started, the Convention centre, where we met a tired Nat and Kym for a much deserved dinner! (: